June 26, 2011

A New Painting: "Black Hoses"

Black Hoses, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 7 x 4 1/2 inches.


When I began to think of a title for this painting, the words that first came to mind emphasized the metaphoric nature of the image, a dark mouth spewing forth black snaky tubes: Maw, Spurt, Spew, Disgorge. But those words would push a certain reading and deny multiple interpretations. I can also see this as humorous, the bright blue enhancing that feeling: the hoses emerge from a chattering mouth like so many lengthened thought balloons. Or to see it non-objectively, a spray of black forms pinwheeling across a surface. So, frightening or funny or abstract, I did not want to direct a response from the viewer, so settled on the neutral title Black Hoses; but not entirely neutral because it alludes to the real objects I've painted. Would Black Lines be better? Do you find that a title guides your response to an artwork?


10 comments:

  1. there's a lot of movement in those hoses -- perhaps a title referring to that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, Helen, the words I mentioned such as spurt, spew, disgorge, all have movement but I felt they were too evocative and I wanted not to be. Spray also came to mind, something like "Black Spray", but but...
    did you have a title?

    ReplyDelete
  3. at first I (being dyslexic) read Black Horses and I accepted that horses were indicated for a brief second, then I thought ' octopus!' but reading further, I thought "said" because of the mouth image and the lines are surely attached to word balloons off screen...
    whatever you call it though, it's a really beautiful and humorous painting - beauty and humor, I can't think of a more dynamic combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's funny, rappel, someone on facebook suggested horses. I love Octopus and Said, but I think they're too funny, too leading.
    but thanks so much; I'm really glad you like the combo of this painting.
    ...I could call it black and blue ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully painted, and I like the idea of lightly stating what it is and not leading the viewer. Ambiguity between real and abstract form is an important component in your art, and this approach to titling seems to fit that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, Mona. I got an email that mentioned the abstraction in the painting and that the title was too concrete. Many opinions. I'll have to mull it over some more and might just leave it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I've got the word, but you won't like it; however, look up "arabesque" (ballet position) in wikipedia, and you'll see what I mean. Just what what the movement in Black Hoses suggested to me. But, it IS a fancy word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I do see what you mean, Helen, a blue and black Islamic image on the wikipedia entry; beautiful. But it is too fancy a word for my straightforward image, too artistic and poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw some O'Keefes up in Mlwk. Some echoes here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting comparison, Julie. I guess the black opening in my painting could be like the deep center of O'Keefe's flowers.

    ReplyDelete