November 8, 2011

Curried Lentil Soup with Tomatoes and Sorrel



The days have turned cool so my thoughts have turned to soup. This is a hearty recipe that I make while the sorrel is still green before hard frost and first thing in the spring when the sorrel emerges. It is spicy and flavorful, with the intense tastes of curry and ginger and lemon. The recipe comes from good friends in California, the artist Karen L. Haas and philosopher Tom Leddy.




1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tbs vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 inch peeled, grated fresh ginger
1 Tbs curry powder (I used a hot curry powder which adds extra pizzazz)
1 teas ground cumin
1 cup lentils
1 quart chicken broth (I use water)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 cup firmly packed coarsely chopped sorrel leaves (I used two cups)
fresh lemon juice to taste.

  1. Cook onion in oil until lightly golden
  2. Add garlic and ginger, cook for 1 minute
  3. Add curry and cumin, cook and stir 30 seconds
  4. Add lentils and 1 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, 5 minutes
  5. Add broth and simmer, covered 25 minutes, until lentils are tender
  6. Add tomatoes and sorrel and cook a few more minutes
  7. Season with lemon, salt, and pepper to taste. (I found that with the larger amount of sorrel I didn't need any lemon juice. I also think the sorrel was extra flavorful this late in the season.)
**I'll be heading to NYC for a few days of family, friends and art. See you next week!

1 comment: