May 13, 2012

A New Painting: "Fins"

Fins, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 6 5/8 x 7 1/2 in.


This is one of my rare images that doesn't have its origin in a farm machine. Instead, it was an abandoned object that I photographed while at a granite quarry near Barre, Vermont, which you can see in this blog post. It is also one of my more complex and volumetric images, as rectangular forms topped by a triangle protrude from a large cylinder. When I first started working with this image, I had a wider view showing more of the fins (if that's what they're called); I decided to simplify the composition by cropping it closer. The original photographic image was also closer to an umber, but I must have been influenced by my previous paintings of red bars which you can see here, and ended with the image having a red character. As of now, I'm quite satisfied with it. 


detail, Fins

3 comments:

  1. richly somber - like an organ in a cathedral - in a moment outside of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I should add that it's a really interesting metaphor, with the fins like pipe organs; rhythmic music....

      Delete