November 6, 2012

Kale Chips: Healthy Junk Food



What could be more wonderful than eating that most healthy of vegetables, kale, in a form that belies its righteous pedigree? This is kale season, as frosty nights make it more tender and sweet. As baked chips, with olive oil and salt, you can be as happy eating kale as you would eating a big bag of Doritos, with no guilt. I've been using a recipe I got online from Food.com. 





2 bunches of kale. (you might ask "how much is a bunch?", as I always do when confronted with this  in a recipe. So this time I measured: I used a little less than pound of kale, before the stems were removed.)

1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 teas salt (the recipe calls for 1-2 teaspoons, but I find that 1 is plenty)
3 Tbs olive oil

  1. Remove stems from the kale and cut or tear into 2 to 3 inch pieces.
  2. Mix together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Toss the kale with the oil/vinegar/salt mixture, being sure to coat all surfaces.
  4. Place on baking sheets; do not pile the leaves high. Using parchment paper to line the pans makes cleanup easier.
  5. Bake in a preheated 350º oven for about 20 minutes, until crispy. Turn up the heat to 400º if they're not crisping and bake a few minutes longer.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. really cool
    thanks
    just what I have been needing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like these if you give them a try, Steven.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite ways to cook Kale. One thing people should be aware of is how quickly the kale can burn at the end...so watch carefully.

    ReplyDelete