August 1, 2013

A New Cardboard Print: "From a Yellow Circle"


From a Yellow Circle, ink on Japanese paper; image size 11 1/2 x 8 1/2, paper size 22 1/2 x 19 1/4; 
ed. 4


Just as with the rest of my work, I have varying aesthetic desires with my cardboard prints, sometimes wanting them to be more geometric and austere, and at other times more curvilinear and playful. During my last printing session I did two simple geometric prints, which you can see here, so when I began to think of my next project, I wanted to do something more whimsical, even a little silly (?). Here a blue curved shape made up of corrugated lines rises above a golden-colored circle, like a ghost or shadow because of its lighter visual weight. When it came to tearing down the paper after the prints were dry, I found that this image needed more space around it than the 4 inches I usually use, but I'm not sure this is clear in the photograph of the work. 


From a Yellow Circle, detail


I am always more frustrated by my photographs of my prints than I am of other work; they seem to me to always miss the quality of the paper and the particular way that the ink sits on it. There's more surface richness and variation than I'm able to capture in a photo. Oh well, at least you can get a sense of the images, and I'm very happy to share them, as uncertain as I can be about their quality. 


2 comments:

  1. very humorous Altoon, I like the print itself and also the connotations of the forms - and that they don't resolve into a single interpretation. a delightful work, to my sensibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you see the fun in this piece, rappel; thanks!

      Delete