May 7, 2014

Spinach Wonton




The spinach I recently planted in the garden has just begun to germinate. It'll be a while before it's large enough to pick, but I still have plenty of last season's spinach in the freezer. This dish is a great treat for me, a little Asian taste in the Northeast Kingdom, and pretty simple to prepare. 




I was going to try to make my own dough, but then got lazy and bought a package of wonton skins. The following recipe, which came with a package of wonton skins, fills about 50 pieces, as many as are in a package. 

1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 clove of garlic, minced (or more, to taste; I used 2 big ones)
2 small carrots, finely chopped
1 medium onion, minced
2 cups chopped cooked spinach, which is around 12 oz.
3 Tbs sesame seeds

Saute the onion till golden, then add other ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes.
Combine in the bowl with the following ingredients:

1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 teas freshly grated ginger (I added more since I love ginger)
1 Tbs sherry 
3 Tbs soy sauce

Put a heaping teaspoon of the filling at the top of the wonton skin as shown above. Moisten the edges with water, fold into a triangle, making sure the edges are sealed, and then overlap the two corners. 




To cook, glaze a frying pan with vegetable oil, heat it, and place wontons in pan. Cook until the bottoms are lightly browned, then add 1/2 cup of water, cover, and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes. Most of the water will have boiled off and the noodle dough will have become transparent, as in the first photo. I like these with more soy sauce, but I'm sure they are good with other condiments.

The wontons will freeze very well, so if you're not cooking all of them, tray freeze and then pack into a bag. You can cook them without defrosting.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment