July 28, 2014

A New Painting: "Curves"


 
Curves, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 8 1/2 x 6 3/8 in.


What attracted me to this image were the curves: first the sinuous snake of black hose, then the curved shadows, looking almost like a cartoon thought balloon, and finally the white cylinder with its distended bottom. The color is simple: red, white, black. When I started the painting the red was a much warmer hue, more towards orange, but I preferred this cooler red as less demanding of attention. 


Curves detail


It was a challenge to paint the reflective curved bottom of the white cylinder and I'm still not sure if it's convincing in its form. The hose was difficult, but fun, attempting the shiny curve of its volume. I have to admit that the painting pleases me.


4 comments:

  1. This is a lyrical beauty, Altoon! That red is a particular love of mine. It doesn't trouble to be persuasive of that white form, the light is what is enticingly uncertain. Also, it is Intersting to see on the blog page, with the thumbnail that leads to your website at right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ravenna. And you're right about the nice relationship of the two paintings at the top of the blog page: curves and curves.

      Delete
  2. I love this! It's one of those enigmatic compositions which always elicit curiosity. It immediately drew me in, and made me think of those wondrous photographs of William Eggleston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga. I love Eggleston's photos so I love the comparison. He has a terrific eye for color, and also for surprising narrative.

      Delete