January 24, 2015

Delicious Salmon (or Vegetable) Cakes




I love simple recipes, of course delicious ones, and healthy adds another plus to the equation. Although I have previously shared only vegetarian recipes, in keeping with the "garden" theme, these fish cakes by Jamie Oliver fit the requirements of taste, ease, and health. Instead of bread crumbs as a binder, Oliver suggests mashed potatoes, a lovely idea. I use canned salmon, which makes the preparation very easy, and it's a great way to get our Omega-3s. Here I'm going to do a little preaching: I buy only wild salmon although it costs more. Farmed salmon are fed an unnatural diet, are given antibiotics, and pollute the waters they are grown in. According to this article from EcoWatch, fish farming is becoming more environmentally responsible, but I'll still hold off and stick with the wild fish. Another nice thing about this recipe is that Oliver points out that since the potatoes and egg act as a binder, you can substitute any cooked vegetables or other ingredients for the fish in this recipe. The recipe serves 4 according to Oliver, but only two according to me; well, I did use a smaller amount of fish, but no wonder I'm gaining weight this winter!

10 oz Yukon gold, russet, or other mealy potatoes (I use my favorites from the garden, Carola)
2 x 3 3/4 oz cans salmon (my can of wild salmon was 6 oz, so I used a smaller amount of potatoes)
a small bunch of fresh parsley (I left this out, not having any)
1 large egg
2 lemons
all purpose flour for dusting


  • Peel the potatoes, and chop in even sized chunks. Boil under cooked, then mash and allow them to cool.
  • Chop the parsley, zest one lemon.
  • When the potato has cooled, add the salmon to it. Add the egg and parsley and lemon zest and mix well; season with salt and pepper. 
  • Divide the mixture into four, then form into patties about 3/4 inch thick. Dust with flour and place on a floured plate. Put into the refrigerator for about an hour to firm up. This is a really helpful hint; cooling the patties makes them much easier to cook without falling apart. 
  • Heat some olive oil in a wide skillet. When hot, add the patties and cook about 3 - 4 minutes on a side, until richly golden and crisp.
  • Enjoy with a sprinkle of fresh lemon juice.  

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my faves. I usually make salmon patties with leftover mashed potatoes. I have never put lemon on them. I might give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the lemon zest adds a really nice flavor to the patties.

      Delete