May 11, 2015

A New Textile: "Deep Pink Flow"


Deep Pink Flow, hand dyed wool on linen; 2 panels, each 10 x 10 in.


I did the sketch for this piece at the same time as that for Shield, which has similar curving forms. In that piece there was an illusion of two panels, while here I made two actual panels. The pink forms squiggle close to each other, but do not meet. At first I thought I'd hook the two greens horizontally, or one vertically and the other horizontally; then I had the idea to use a diagonal hooking for the lighter yellow-green, to create more energy on the surface as the diagonal lines push against the pink curve. I hope that all the elements settle into balance.


Deep Pink Flow detail

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colors and composition, Altoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful. are you using wool strips in this textile piece or cotton, or silk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simplicity of your pieces. I get the feeling of a flower bud ready to burst into bloom with this work.

    ReplyDelete