June 23, 2016

A New Textile: "Surround"


Surround, hand dyed wool on linen; overall 13 1/4 x 22 1/2 in.


Two shapes, illusionistically modeled, surround a third. The colors are related in that I mixed the blue and magenta to make the purple. Although the cool red shape is not modeled to seem as though it has three dimensions, the irregularity of the dye process adds some lively variation to the color. I wanted that shape to be flat, as an anchor to the others. 


Surround detail


In order to get the range of values for this piece....


Surround detail


....and for this, I dip dyed a piece of wool so that one end had more dye and the other less, with a graduated range of color across the wool. I hooked the wool vertically, which helped with the illusion. At first I had hooked the blue piece following the curved outlines, but it looked awful; I pulled all the wool out and began again, with vertical lines.


Surround detail


For the magenta piece I hooked the wool in lines following the outline of its irregular shape. All the parts of this piece are related, yet different, following each other in their curved outlines. 


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, I'm glad the illusion of three dimensions works.

      Delete
  2. Altoon you have a real winner with this project. Actually I'm loving all your projects. Nevertheless, this piece is superb due to the subtlety of your color hues which augment their shapes.

    ReplyDelete