March 7, 2010

Green Shoots



Another glorious day, and I was outdoors pruning an apple tree (a post on that coming soon) and noticing––hurrah!––small bits of green coming up through snow and ice and the debris of last summer's garden. Above are daylilies, poking their heads up along the warm south side of the house, next to the granite block foundation. The warmth thrown off from the stone creates a mini climate encouraging the early emergence of the old-fashioned daylily.




In a south facing border in front of the shed, tiny heads of small early daffodils (I think these are Jet Fire) are showing through a thin layer of ice, a layer gone by afternoon. The snow is retreating, but it may return, so we'll enjoy this weather with its spring notes to the full.

5 comments:

  1. I loved that moment when I had been finally gardening long enough that I could distinguish daylilies from daffs just by looking at those tips peeking through the snow — rather than knowing which was which by location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sight of this Altoon!
    You must be glad of it after this time of the long winter!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, location still helps me a lot, but I do know most of my plants by sight, which is very satisfying.

    and Sophie, spring is a complete exhilarating time after the months of winter. It is very fickle up here though, and often plays peek-a-boo with us, coming and going until the weather settles in May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those first greens peeking are so exciting....I've been observing but not taking photos....glad to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so completely unlike anything i have ever experienced Altoon....such a literal and whole hearted sense of spring time.
    S

    ReplyDelete