November 2, 2010

A New Hooked Rug: "Floating Oval"

Floating Oval, hand-dyed wool on linen, 11 x 14 1/2 inches.


Here is the last of a set of four works, each of which is made up of two shapes, one moving out from the background quadrilateral. I think the triangles, not surprisingly, are the most dynamic, with their sharp angles. I like to imagine the conversation between these very different characters.

As you can see below, I've hung the four in the triangular space between slanted window and ceiling beam; the unusual space adds an assertive element, instead of the blank neutrality of an expanse of white wall; Floating Oval fits perfectly leaning up against the old wood beam. I enjoyed working with this format, so will likely do more in the future.


4 comments:

  1. that's quite a conversation! in the shot above the triangles and oval/circle read at a glance like talk balloons in comics... I like the new addition & its zany placement against the beam. though I'm curious how it would read without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment, rappel. I like thinking of the shapes as talk balloons; nice. At some point I'll try photographing these on that large blank white wall and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This arrangement seems so dynamic and engaging! It makes me want to play and try different combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, you and rappel have made me want to shoot these in different poses; I'll do that sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete