July 4, 2011

A New Textile: "Objects #3"

Objects #3, hand dyed wool on linen, 9 x 15 inches.


I have finished the third work in my series of four that are based on screen shots from the documentary film Objectified. I have again used a bar and triangle in the composition, just as in #1, though here the triangle is seen in its entirety, and the "object" is a circle. The color is a bit lighter in value than in the two previous pieces.




As before, I have hooked the wool in straight lines except for within the shape I've designated as object; so here, the circle is made from concentric lines of hooking from outside edge to the center. Below you can see the three finished pieces together. I'm pleased with the group so far: the color, the repeating triangle and bar shapes, the one different shape in each.


8 comments:

  1. these look great Altoon, I love the variation in the colors, crayon-like rather than paint-like, so there's a lot of air and the compositions breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much, rappel. I love the crayon-like comment; I assume it looks that way to you because of the tonal variations, as though a crayon is skipping over the surface of the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are like a gestalt.They work separately as well as connected as a whole. Brava. You could be called Altoon Subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am enamored of the "tonal variations" (so musical!). Very curious to see how the 4th and final panel fits since first two appear more organic than this...so wonder how you will resolve the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! And, in addition, the photo of them interacting with the lines of the floor are so consistently active in their 'almost lined up' visual choices! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Deesha, Julie, and Kim, so very much.
    oh, the whole...right now I'm working on the fourth, which has two grays in it and a grayish cool red; I worry it'll be too gray with the others, but it's meant to echo the gray of the upper right. I guess we'll see once it's done.
    and Kim, shooting those three pieces on the floor was a last minute decision, and I too like the way the shapes interact with the diagonal lines of the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again you teach lessons while sharing your creativity. Your blog continues to be a daily "OM" moment. Thank you for making time to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're very welcome, Sue; I very much enjoy the sharing.

    ReplyDelete