May 24, 2012

A New Textile: "Empty Center: Brick Red/Blue-Green

 Empty Center: Brick Red/Blue-Green, hand dyed wool on linen, 9 x 9 in.


After doing the study for this textile, I thought I must have been subliminally influenced by the work of Dan Walsh, which I wrote about here. In this addition to my Empty Center series (See the four previous works in the series below) the lozenge-like shapes enter as though testing the waters, tentatively licking at the "empty" swirl of colors between them. The shapes and their placement invite metaphors, mostly amusing, such as the red tongue. The softness of the wool makes even strict geometric shapes more organic.




I dyed the wool for the background using a dilute mixed red and blue-green. I thought that the blue-green color might be too blue, but went ahead and hooked it anyway. Colors change in relationships, so I expected that when it was seen with the lozenge shape, it might take on a greener coloring. When I look at this detail alongside the red, the color looks quite blue, but above, in the entire piece, it seems to work well enough with the greener shape.


Four previous works in the Empty Center series.


No comments:

Post a Comment