March 9, 2014

A New Textile: "Two Ovals and a Rectangle"


Two Ovals and a Rectangle, hand dyed wool on linen, 18 1/4 x 12 in.


This work is the second in which I've sewn two pieces together to make a whole composition; you can see the other, Two Squares and a Circle, here. I like the idea of two parts interacting, here two ovals, one upright and centered and the other balancing on the top edge. 


Constantin Brancusi, Sleeping Muse, 1910; bronze, 6 3/4 x 9 1/2 x 6 in.
image courtesy of Metropolitan Museum of Art


Of course the idea for the yellow oval shape comes from this famous sculpture by Brancusi, a sloping oval resting gently on its side. I think my oval is in a much more precarious position than this beautifully simplified head. 


Two Ovals and a Rectangle detail


In this detail you can see the results of hooking the wool parallel to the edges in the rectangle: diagonals appear which run to the corners. I also follow the curves of the ovals, from outline in toward the center. 


Two Ovals and a Rectangle detail


This is the point of attachment of the two parts. I'd originally planned to have the yellow oval sitting close to the center of the violet rectangle, but then thought "why not live dangerously!" and put it where it seemed that it might tip over the edge: balance and imbalance, symmetry and asymmetry  play together.


10 comments:

  1. I too love the idea of shapes interacting. This is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely piece of work, wonderful balance in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have always loved that Brancusi. Fascinating take on the attitude of incline...yes, your oval is more precarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brancusi is a marvelous sculptor. I feel lucky to have seen the reproduction of his studio in Paris; quite a thrill.

      Delete
  4. Nice tension in this. I almost want to reach out to grab the yellow oval so it doesn't fall off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I love that you have a physical response to this piece; thanks.

      Delete