March 26, 2015

A New Textile: "Arcs and Squares"


Arcs and Squares, hand dyed wool on linen, 23 x 23 1/2 in.


While doing sketches for new textiles, I thought of making a pattern that would flow through separate pieces stitched together, as in the Robert Mangold painting below. I liked the idea of using squares with a square void at the center. After trying this and that, I realized that I didn't want a clear flowing line through all four squares, so had two meet, and two be separated: point and counterpoint. My colors are like Ellsworth Kelly's blue and green, though the red is cooler and darker than the red he uses. 


Robert Mangold, Framed Square, blue; acrylic and black pencil on canvas.



Arcs and Squares detail


Here is a detail of two squares meeting, where the red line is supposed to flow from one to the next. Because rug hooking is not a precise medium, the squares aren't quite square and the lines aren't quite smooth, but I accept the imperfect nature of the medium. 


6 comments:

  1. The blue and green is very spring-like. Love em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially appreciate your inclusions of references to makers of similar or inspiring works. I found the artist, Dan Christensen, through some sideways searching, and enjoy the help along the way.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JBS, a lot of my work is inspired by art that I see, and I like to acknowledge that.

      Delete