August 4, 2015

A New Painting: "Rectangles and Cylinder"


Rectangles and Cylinder, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 5 3/8 x 10 in.


Illusionism is fun. While I was working on this painting, as the forms became more clear, the illusion of volume and depth heightened. I like when a tactile sense of a reality appears in the work. It is uncanny, magical, a thing that painting can do. I am not trying to "trick the eye" with trompe l'oeil, but to achieve a solid presence. It is one large reason I keep painting objects, and keep my non-objective work for my other mediums: prints, textiles, drawings.


Rectangles and Cylinder detail


Another reason to keep painting the things of this world is the light that is cast on them and reflected off them; I am drawn to sunlight and its effects. For me, a painting can wondrously feel as though I am running my hand over solid surfaces.


8 comments:

  1. You definitely have a solid presence here. I feel like I could reach out and touch this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont know what to say anymore..i have run out of superlatives.Congratulations
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...a fluted Greek column.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Satisfying piece! Part of me is curious how you could play with the proportional divisions. The almost center point.
    Totally agree about light: in art, garden, life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, Julie, but I didn't pay attention to the center point, but the narrow shadowed shape of the orange form is right at the center where it meets the dark orange.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I kinda played with it by holding my thumb over gray part. But that changed it to thirds and whole different proportions.

    ReplyDelete