October 6, 2015

A New Painting: "Line-up"



Line-up, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 5 x 10 3/4 in. 


This painting nearly got the better of me. While working on it, I didn't think I'd be able to finish it without pulling my hair out. The problem was all those black hoses––whose long cylindrical forms most interested me about this image––making them regular enough and at the same time alive enough to make a decent painting. After a bit of struggle and much despair, I was able to whip them into some kind of shape. I still feel a little wishy washy about this painting; it's not one of my favorites. But at least I didn't wipe it off, like I did with the previous one I began, and as I'm about to do with a just-finished triptych that just doesn't work. Life in the studio doesn't always go swimmingly. 


Line-up detail

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you still have your hair and a nice painting. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is OP ART.
      The pipes vibrate up and down every time I look at them.
      The motor must be idling.

      Delete
    2. thanks, JBS, I'm glad it's full of energy.

      Delete