November 23, 2015

A New Painting: "Pointed Arch"


Pointed Arch, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 7 1/2 x 10 in. 


I had to giggle when I began this painting: the shapes were so humorous to me with the outstretched "arms". I begin my paintings quite loosely, in a very painterly fashion, and make them more precise as I work; I thought the tightening up of form would bring more gravity to the image, but it still seems funny to me (though maybe not to you). Which is fine; I like humor in art. The title, Pointed Arch, continues the silliness, because of course this isn't an arch since it's supported at its center.


Pointed Arch detail


Here's a detail of the little lozenge shape that caps the arch, probably hiding the bolt holding the cylindrical parts together.


Pointed Arch detail


I deliberately softened the top edge of the light gray form, so it would settle into the blue; this is different from the sharp dark green edge, which pops that form forward. Although this image is very simple, it is always a balancing act to pull a painting together.


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is funny.
      I sit waiting for the Tasmanian Devil to come zigging forward in his whirlwind, over the distant horizon, and gape at me over the green arch.

      Delete
    2. ...could it be because the shading of the 'landscape' is just like that in the Loony Tunes logo? Probably.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, JBS...I enjoyed your references.

      Delete