February 3, 2016

Retreating Snow




Last winter was a season of bitter cold and snow; this year winter couldn't be more different. I wrote happily about the late arrival of winter in a blog post dated January 5, and now, a month later, the landscape looks as though it might be mid March. The snow is disappearing and the sap has started running.




The small incidents of melting snow show little beauties, which I'm determined to enjoy although they are much more joyous after three months of cold and deep snow. The warmth of plants melts the ice....




....and they appear as though framed in glitter.




A still-green fern pops up above the snow alongside a graceful dried leaf.




I love seeing the leaves and branches that have fallen on the snow begin to settle into it....




....as their warmth creates a surrounding bed, perfectly proportioned.




There are circles clear of snow around tree trunks, warming for the spring season.




And on the front lawn patches of snow invite imaginative visions, of a horse....




....or a swaying figure. Of course winter is not yet over, and we may have more cold and snow, but it's good practice to enjoy whatever comes.


4 comments:

  1. I think Ole Man Winter is teasing us this year. I enjoyed your photos and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure is....thanks, I'm happy you liked the post; I did it to cheer myself up.

      Delete
  2. I bet the spring is around the corner. Have a good start into the week, Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I'd prefer that we have more winter before spring arrives.

      Delete