December 6, 2010

A New Painting: "Triangle and Cylinder"

Triangle and Cylinder, egg tempera on parchment, 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 inches.


Sometimes I think that certain painting have impish qualities, deliberately trying to trip you up just when you thought everything was going so well. This was one of those; the first day's work went so well that I thought I had only another hour or so to finish it the next day. Well, two days and 7 or 8 working hours later, including wiping off the cylinder down to the parchment––twice!––it is done. It's a fairly dramatic image with saturated color, light and dark, flat and round, the geometry fixed by the small dark "eye" under the triangle's peak.

4 comments:

  1. the 'eye', so coy! says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started this painting, I didn't realize how prominent that 'eye' would become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful colors, and modulations of colors. And it's (literally) punctuated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much, Susan. It was hard to get the color balances right, so I'm glad you like them, and the little circle.

    ReplyDelete