January 25, 2011

Winter Light: Teacups



The light that flowed one morning across the items ranged on the shelves of the hutch illuminated only partially, the rest of the form sank back into shadows. The effect was like 17th century Dutch or Spanish still life. So I decided to photograph some of my collection of teacups, gathered over the years because of their charm and for use in still life photography. What is it about a teacup that is so evocative? is it their fragility, their reminder of comfort?




This cup was a gift from a friend, an old lusterware cup and saucer with marvelously inventive houses like nothing seen in the real world.






The two cups above, along with the lusterware teacup, do not have handles. I was told by an antiques dealer that it meant they had some age, as handles were a later introduction. I'm particularly fond of the delicate painting of leaf and flower.




And to end, two modern cups, mass produced, likely for the restaurant industry, and maybe not even teacups. But I love their rounded handles like little ears sticking out from their sides, inviting hands, fingers, to lift the cup, and lips to taste.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful assemblage of cups! I love those double round handles on the new cups; makes them so funny and fanciful. And the fact that the brush strokes are so obvious on the painted cup (2nd from last) is what gives it such charm. You can just picture someone holding the brush and quickly, but knowingly, making the stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the magic of that sparse light, so like winter itself, warming the tea cups - I especially like the sound of that word - tea cups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like my little teacup collection, Linda. And I agree that it's easy to see someone sitting at a table, painting that cup, along with many others, but each one fresh and lively.

    rappel, I like your description of light warming the cups, as the cups, filled with hot liquid, usually warm us. It is a nice word, maybe not as wonderful as Henry James' favorite phrase "summer afternoon", but quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was feeling embarassed about my teacup collection until I saw your posting. I kept wondering, "Why all these cups?" Looking at your photos here and tells me that the existence of an object alone, nestled in its shadow is enough.
    The ability for an object to take one back to a work by Vermeer or Chardin is an even greater treat. Time slows down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, I agree that a marvel of objects is their ability to call forth memories and associations. Also, there's a wonderful Beckett quote, from his novel "Molloy": "To restore silence is the role of objects."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the teacups all honored by the "sparse" light and your Beckett quote is a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you like the teacups, Maggie, and the Beckett quote.

    ReplyDelete