December 22, 2012

New Potato Prints (Improvisation is Hard!)


Half Circles, ink on paper, 11 x 9 in.


Back in July, soon after I started making potato prints, I wrote about how their improvisational process was so different from the rest of my work. It hasn't gotten any easier, and I haven't felt any more assured about what I'm up to, but something here keeps me at it. The prints in this post are from two sessions over the past two months, from which more than half the work ended up in the trash. In Half Circles, I like the image of circles that are completed, yet not whole. But, does this image....


Three Across, Three Down, ink on paper, 20 x 15 1/2 in.


...or this, carry enough form, meaning, feeling, to be any good? These do look much better in person, when the texture of ink and paper can be enjoyed, but the fact that I've never worked in this way before makes for a great deal of uncertainty. The simplicity of Three Across appeals to me....


Encircled, ink on paper, 10 x 13 in.


...as does the more complex and humorous composition of Encircled.


Barred Circles, ink on paper, 12 x 10 3/4 in. 


I've always hated repeating myself, and I'm always trying to make images different from ones that came before. With this medium, that feels more difficult, because of the limitations of potatoes, their size and the shapes I can cut from them. 


Vertical, ink on paper, 15 x 12 in. 


So, it's necessary for me to keep leaping out there,


Reach, ink on paper, 11 1/4 x 9 3/8 in. 


trying to be inventive, fresh and free.


Openings, ink on paper, 12 x 13 in. 


 And maybe not be too judgmental, but simply enjoy the process and see where it takes me.


12 comments:

  1. I love these potato prints. They have a life to them, in my estimation. I particulary like "Reach" and "Encircled."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of playing like a child. When art becomes labored, I retreat to thinking like I did when I was little in my Daddy's art studio. And I try to channel the freedom I witnessed in the children I taught for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That freedom in young children is a precious thing, too soon gone. You're right in that it's a good thing to try to regain some of that innocent freshness.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you continue making these. It's that level of uncertainty that can lead to wonderful surprises. And I love that you share that process with readers, something we often leave out when talking about our work, that experimentation process that we often keep hidden. I love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathryn. Sharing my process helps me clarify what I'm trying to do, and it certainly helps to get the friendly feedback; it helps me to keep going.

      Delete
  4. I often find it difficult to allow myself the freedom to play, even though past experience has shown me that it is ultimately worthwhile. I become very frustrated, but if I can get past what feels like a pointless waste of time, occasionally there will be magic. By the way--I love the print titled "Vertical"--it is as if the square is trying to find its place in the column.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Tamar, on how difficult it can be to allow ourselves time, and frustration. And I'm glad you like Vertical; I'd been wishy-washy on it (but then I was on a lot of these!)

      Delete
  5. Really enjoy the freedom and energy here, especially Half Circles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These prints are already "inventive, fresh and free"...in the spirit of daring and playfulness of Stephen Mueller, but in a different palette and an earthier, grittier presentation. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete