September 30, 2013

New Prints, Cardboard and Potato


Squared: High Parallelogram, ink on Sekishu natural paper; image size 8 x 8, paper size 15 x 15 in.; 
ed. 4



Squared: Downward Triangle, ink on Sekishu natural paper; image size 8 x 8, paper size 15 x 15 in.;
ed. 4


A few months ago I started a series of cardboard prints that I called Squared; you can see the first two prints here. My idea was to use a small square made up of the lines of corrugation, and place within it a simple geometric shape. I am interested in how the shape activates the space around it, and how varied that can be; during each session I've placed one shape high and one low, creating different energies. 


Untitled 37, ink on Nishinouchi paper, 15 x 14 3/4 in.


As is usual during my printing sessions, after pulling the cardboard prints I play with potatoes, cutting them up in different shapes, dipping them in ink and stamping the color on paper. For 37 I used the same shape in the same color, stamping it four times on each line as the ink became fainter.


Untitled 38, ink on Twinrocker paper, 10 x 14 in.


Here different shapes march across the paper in variations on primary colors.


Untitled 39, ink on Twinrocker paper, 14 x 11 3/4 in.


Every time I make a print that has rounded shapes separated by lines, I start to see a figure...which I don't like, but maybe the playfulness of it is redeeming?


Untitled 40, ink on Nishinouchi paper, 12 x 9 in.


Very simple: four and four.


Untitled 41, ink on Twinrocker paper, 18 x 8 1/4 in. 


Lastly, a tall narrow piece. I dipped the rectangle in blue ink only twice, allowing the marks to get more ghostly as they moved to the right. At first I couldn't decide whether I should add another element, but then placed a pale yellow circle at the center. I think it works, but due to the improvisational nature of these works, I am never quite sure. Uncertainty, the healthy attitude in the studio.....

No comments:

Post a Comment