December 18, 2013

Snow, Dotted with Tiny Jewels




It has been said that Eskimos have many words for snow; if that were true, there would be a vivid word to describe the snow as it was here today: made up of tiny flakes that captured the sun and reflected it in tiny points of light, gleaming in light and in shadow. As I walked along, they sparkled and glowed as though I was wandering through a magical kingdom studded with diamonds.




The flakes looked like bits of mica, glittering brightly.




Soft mounds gather around sticks.....




....and the remnants of vegetables in the garden, creating cones of light and cool shadow, their pure geometry interrupted by shards of light.




Beneath the snow, a clear layer of sun-shot ice contrasts with dark wood.




Snow and soft, long shadows. Finally a mild day so I could be outdoors to enjoy the air and light, and the sparkle. I realize that these photographs do not do a very good job in depicting the particular light of this snow, but I couldn't resist giving it a try. Do click to enlarge them to see the details more clearly; it was a special snow that will lose its light in the gray of coming days.

6 comments:

  1. So flaky! Would be fun to magnify those flakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would..... I guess what I'd need is a very powerful macro lens.

      Delete
  2. I too love to see the sparkle in the snow. It always makes me think the snow fairies are moving their precious jewels around and have them strewn everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely, isn't it? and fairly rare; today is gray and new snow not sparkly at all.

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying your photo-journals of the seasonal landscape. A little like Thoreau on Walden Pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Cecilia...I enjoy noticing things, like Thoreau in his journals.

      Delete