September 12, 2010

A New Painting: "Constellation"

Constellation, egg tempera on parchment, 4 1/4 x 5 inches


I finished this painting before leaving on my visit to NYC. When I began working on it, I felt that the composition wasn't as good––with each element seeming necessary and in essential balance––as in my most recent paintings. But when I started mixing color, I became entranced by the intense cool blue and the playful texture of pink and bits of green. I even did a thumbnail for a possible hooked rug project using the same pink/blue color combination. The holes cut out in the sheet metal bounce about in a jazzy rhythm, unlike the more regular circles in the painting Dots. The thin line of light caught at the bottom edge of each, and the variation of color around them, make the circles into separate little characters, dancing above the large stolid mass of dark.

5 comments:

  1. pow! this is beautiful and gutsy at the same time. the language of comics lurks behind it. constellation indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new website is so accessible, clear, and in order. It is a beauty, showing your excellent use of color and form in the groupings which hold together as whole. Great layout, thoughtful, and much like your work.

    This new painting is also a beauty, yes the color mixing is compelling and the title widens the vision. It is a pleasure to see your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, Maggie and rappel, for your praise of this painting; I'm glad it resonates with you. It's always great to have a comic element seen in the work, rappel. And Maggie, I'm pleased you like the website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to say that I am so enjoying your blog. I grew up in the country and miss it so, as I now live in the suburbs of Indianapolis. Your paintings and ruglets are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Jacquelynn. As a former city person now living in the country, and loving it so much, I understand your feeling. I'm happy that you enjoy the blog, and my art making.

    ReplyDelete