September 23, 2010

Pointed

Pointed, hand-dyed wool on linen, 11 1/2 x 10 inches


An orange triangle, one point jutting out from a pink square, two other points just meeting the edges, pushing against them: this is how I'd describe this piece in words. Our visual responses do, of course, bring in other considerations. For instance, how do we think of the small triangle that extends beyond the square border? is it uncomfortable? or does it add a lively element to the work? I myself wasn't sure what I'd think until I finished, and when I hung the work on the wall (last photo), I was pleased; there was an added allusion to 3 dimensional sculpture that I liked.




I had thought (see this post on beginning the work) that I would cut the loops of the background pink square to make the piece into a relief sculpture, but when I tried cutting some, I saw that aside from a subtle textural change, it didn't really affect how I saw it. This technique seems to work best when using a single color; changes in texture then read like color changes. So, I didn't cut the loops.

Below is Pointed hanging alongside the slanted witch's window on the second floor of my house. (to see a more complete photo of the window, go to this post.) I like the way it seems to float above the architectural elements on the wall, and the way the diagonals of the image converse with those of the window, a felicitous placement, I think.



Pointed, hand-dyed wool on linen, 11 1/2 x 10 inches


An orange triangle, one point jutting out from a pink square, two other points just meeting the edge.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful colors in this one, and created shapes in this, and I like it uncut too, but can see how you entertained the trimming idea during the process.

    Art is always revealing itself to us as we go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like this piece, Mona. And I agree that in the process of making, we see what it is we are doing; that discovery is a great joy of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, simply, 'sticking out its tongue.'
    in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete