March 31, 2012

Two New Hooked Wool Drawings

 2012 #6, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 15 1/2 x 15 in.


These two pieces are the last in a group of six that came from a doodling session during a meeting, which you can see here. I had originally thought I'd use a deep kelly green for #6, but after I had painted the blue, I thought this lighter lime green was more lively. I like the way my eye bounces from the points where the triangles meet out to the larger shape.


2012 #7, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 14 1/2 x 12 in.


I love playing around with difficult colors, and pink can be one of them. I'm trying to contrast its frothiness with a darker red, with shapes curving as though inscribed in circles.


 2012 #6, detail


2012 #7, detail


These two details give you a better idea of what the paint looks like on the surface of the linen, and what the linen looks like which is hidden under the fully hooked pieces. I usually hook the loops through every other or every third hole. I'd also like to point out that although the linen seems to be a different color from one photo to the next, it's actually all the same. When I attempt to adjust the color of paint and wool correctly the background often shifts. This is one of the small annoyances of sharing work online, but the benefits far outweigh them. 


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Altoon! I especially like the varying shapes of #6, with the perfect square in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Dotty! It's funny about the square: when I was working on it I had to stop and think "did I want to leave that empty?" I had to look at the sketch to remind myself, yes I did.

      Delete
  2. The apparent color shift in the linen is due to differences in the magnification of its texture. The color shift of the less neutral tones (with their own textures) will not coincide with the linen's, so they will have to be done separately. And then of course, everyone's computer screen colors are different...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes, LP, it's for sure that everyone's screen is different, which is a big problem with looking at art online. As for doing color areas separately, I'm not enough of a photoshop expert, so I just do the best I can. My images give a generally decent idea, which is the best I can hope for with digital reproduction of a physical object.

      Delete
  3. nice drawings, Altoon. associations: the first one is almost religious/ easter-ish...the second one eatable - two rinds and their fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, rappel, I love your associations. (can't avoid that cross reference)

      Delete