February 24, 2013

New Hooked Wool Drawings


2013 #1, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 16 1/2 x 14 in. 


When I work on these hooked wool pieces, I do several at once since the actual making of them––the painting and hooking––doesn't take so much time; the designing, the transferring of images, the finishing work, eats up just as much time, so having a mini assembly line makes sense. I often try to come up with images that are different from each other, to keep my interest, as with these three: one unitary central image, one central image made of various parts, and one with elements pushed to the edges. In #1, I thought of the pink as embracing the yellow painted form. 


2013 #2, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 13 1/2 x 17 1/2 in. 


Three elements, each made differently: a line, a fully hooked shape, and a painted one; they have to exist in a balance of color and weight.


2013 #2 detail


Here's a closer look at the textured surface.


2013 #3, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 14 x 11 in. 


In this work the three shapes, like pie slices, have a feel of twirling outward from a center; each is made differently: one with paint, one with line, and the third is a fully hooked shape; greenish yellow, dark green, dark denim blue. I wish now that I'd made the piece larger so there was more space between the shapes, but it's okay as it is. I'm still enjoying making these, as an intermediate form between my fully hooked textiles and my paintings and drawings.


No comments:

Post a Comment