February 18, 2013

New Prints, Cardboard and Potato


High and Outside, ink on Akatosashi paper, ed. 4, 19 1/2 x 24 in. 


Even though I've decided to stay away from titling my potato prints, to allow for free responses, I still title the (fewer) cardboard prints, and I couldn't resist this title, as "inside baseball" as it is, once it occurred to me. I liked the idea of the circle floating away from the touching squares, rising a bit higher and off to the side, pulling our eye actively back and forth. When I think of a ball being pitched, it gives the image more energy (is that cheating?).


High and Outside detail


One square, turned into a diamond, with its corrugations showing, is a red companion to the circle. I love this darker hand-made Japanese paper; it has a lot of character.


Untitled 5, ink on Twinrocker paper, 14 1/2 x 14 1/2 in. 


I quite like the first three potato prints I've shown here, #s 5, 6 and 7, while for me #s 8 and 9 are more iffy. My thoughts began with squares, to which I added red triangles here....


Untitled 6, ink on Gifu Green Tea Medium paper, 11 1/4 x 12 in. 


...while here squares are made with thick lines in primary-ish colors.  


          

Untitled 7, ink on Sansui SH8 paper, 10 x 18 3/4 in. 


 Stacked squares separate two composite shapes, one a pinwheel-like circle, the other an empty irregular square made up of half circles.


Untitled 8, ink on Twinrocker paper, 2 panels, each 15 x 6 1/4 in. 


I kinda sorta like this, but it leaves me a bit unsatisfied in the balance between the elements.


Untitled 9, ink on Masa dosa paper, 12 x 10 in. 


I wish this piece didn't have the yellow line at the upper right (although that was the first one I printed). For me it works better without it, and is too balanced with the two yellows. But as I promised before, I'm not tossing the iffy prints, but keeping them; I'll only throw away the truly awful ones. You can chime in with any thoughts, agreeing or disagreeing with my assessments.


No comments:

Post a Comment