June 20, 2013

Four New Hooked Wool Drawings

2013 #10, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 15 x 12 in.


I enjoy working on these hooked wool drawings as a kind of palate cleanser after doing a couple of textile projects. They tend to be lighter in mood, and are faster to complete. (Though everything is slower these days with the demands of the garden taking up much of my time.) This first piece, #10, is a play with geometry, as the long rectangles, one empty and one full, take bites out of the larger rectangles that they sit in.


2013 #11, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 16 1/2 x 14 in.


Here I was attempting some confusing illusion: the orange band curves outward toward the viewer, but which way does the green band go?


2013 #12, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 15 x 12 in.


For me, #12 is like a cartoon, with humorous curves and silly color.


2013 #13, hand dyed wool and egg tempera on linen, 16 1/4 x 14 1/2 in. 


Like #10, #13 is also geometry, but of circle upon circle: paint, line, solid, empty. Each time I work on a set of new drawings, I attempt to have each quite different from the others; it's a challenge that continues to engage my interest.


2 comments:

  1. I like this quartet's playfulness and color palette. My favorite is #12, but they are all special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Mona. (I think #12 is my favorite too.)

    ReplyDelete