August 19, 2014

A New Painting: "Blue Verticals"


Blue Verticals, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 8 1/4 x 6 1/8 in.


What is it about Cobalt blue that is so appealing? is it because it is close to the color of a bright sky, so our association with it is positive? Or maybe for you it is not; it could be sad, like "The Blues", or feeling blue. It is curious to me that such melancholic emotions would be given the name of such a lovely color. It may be because it's the coolest of colors on the spectrum; both green and purple have some warmth added to the blue: yellow and red. I might be thinking about this because the vertical forms in this composition remind me of figures; the central rectangle is like a person squeezed into a line or in a crowd. The metaphoric readings of my paintings generally stay in the back of my mind; this painting has pushed them forward.


Blue Verticals detail



No comments:

Post a Comment