October 8, 2010

Old Linens



While I was staying with my parents in Brooklyn, my mother brought a large shopping bag full of linens from the basement, so that I could choose some cloth napkins to bring home. Looking at the assortment of old tea towels, placemats, pillow cases, and napkins made me a bit nostalgic, so I am indulging myself with this post. All the linens were made by the company established by my father's father and his sons––Parisian Prints––and are probably 30 to 50 years old. When I was a young girl, my father took me on a trip to their factory in Mount Joy, PA, in Amish country. I remember watching with fascination a marvelous machine that allowed a woman sitting in front of a large pattern to move dozens of needles to "hand embroider" pillow cases. (I wonder how much I misremember.) It seemed magical. I imagine that now all this is digitized.

Above are two tea towels that look as though they could have been made as tourist items for Vermont, one with a leaping deer and the other with a skier. I hope you can see why I couldn't resist sharing them.




This is a set of table runner, placemat and napkin that I think is a lovely design, with applique on transparent fabric. And below are cocktail napkins made for the family, probably 50 years ago. The style of these linens is that of Madeira, a island of Portugal; they may have been made there, or in China. Wherever they were made, it's wonderful to have these vintage items, a bit of family history, to use and enjoy.


7 comments:

  1. there's something so intimate and tender about old linens especially those passed on through a family - I was amazed this summer to see things like this going for nothing at a flea market. under-valued historical treasures - just looking at them brings to mind images of a different way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family linens are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. I like to imagine the people who actually used these items...a lady dabbing her scarlet lipsticked mouth on the cross country skier napkin without a second thought, because she would have all her laundry sent out...I love old movies for the same reason...sometimes I make up a tray for my morning coffee with one piece of toast on a china plate, an ironed linen napkin tucked underneath, but I cannot bring myself to actually wipe my hands or mouth on the cloth, because I am the one who will have to launder that pesky little thing. Poof! My fantasy bubble bursts and I'm back to modern times...times that have definately changed...for the better or the worse? Who can really say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! I love old linens but would be so excited to have family ones. Somehow, we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, rappel and Julia and B.D for your lovely comments. It's nice to know that these little items have struck a cord with you. I so enjoyed reading your fantasies, Julia, and can vividly picture the scene you set, that other way of life that rappel also references. What is it about linens that set our fancies free?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so delightful, and it's wonderful that this skill and trade is a part of your family history that you will have these special pieces from! I'm so glad you posted about them, they are one of a kind treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see these, Altoon. And maybe some background to your interest in textile arts? I bought a very old house in Baltimore, a very long time ago, that came complete with the belongings of the two maiden sisters who had spent their lives there, including all of their old linens. Sorry now that I didn't save any of them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really happy to be visiting your blog. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete