November 18, 2009

From Painting to Hooked Rug: Richard Tuttle

Richard Tuttle, Great Men 2 and Great Men 8, 19 October, 1982, watercolor on lined paper in wooden frame, 9.5 x 14 x 1.75 inches.


I first became aware of Richard Tuttle's work when I wandered into a show of his in SoHo in the early 80s. The front room was full of watercolors similar to these: summary notations, seemingly tossed off the brush with great economy, but with a kind of perfection, like Japanese calligraphic painting. At the same time, there was a refusal to take himself too seriously; painting "Great Men" on ordinary lined paper, and framing in crude pieces of wood. I was so taken with these works––I have to say I fell in love––that I went back to my studio, took out a stack of typing paper and watercolors, and tried to make vivid, simple little paintings. I couldn't do it; I couldn't even come close. It was a powerful lesson in how things that look effortless often need the greatest skill.



Tuttle, Section III, Extension G., 2007, mixed media, 7 x 3 3/4 x 3 7/8 inches


Throughout his career, Tuttle has worked with materials that say "not-art": plywood and foamcore, cardboard and wire. And aluminum foil. He shapes unlikely materials into endlessly inventive forms, and many are insistently small. His project pushes back against the artist-as-hero model, against Art-as-Important. Yet the work inspires with its understated poetic resonance.



Tuttle, Overlap Composition VI (5.14.07), 2000-2007, acrylic on fir plywood, 68 x 24 inches


Much of Tuttle's work fits into Minimalism stylistically, but what I call "funky minimalism", where the forms are loose and the brushwork is painterly. There is geometry, but it isn't rigid. I find these paintings remarkably appealing, charming even, if charming weren't so discredited a word. They feel right.



Tuttle, Drift III, 1965, acrylic on plywood, 24 x 52 x 1 inch



I saw the work above at a Tuttle retrospective at the Whitney Museum of Art in NYC in 2005. It was one of a group of shaped paintings on plywood, simple forms, all slightly off of perfect, with wavering edges and not-square corners. The show was a joy to me, buoyant and alive. (If you'd like to see more Tuttle images, you can go to his gallery's website.) I made the ruglet below as an homage to Richard Tuttle.


Two Arches (for Tuttle), 2007, hand-dyed wool on linen, 7 x 23 inches

4 comments:

  1. I am sure Section III, Extension G., 2007 is a black woman, wearing a wonderful hat, at a bar in Harlem. Don't you think? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like that jaunty little sculpture, Betty. The little red egg-shaped form sure has a face-like aspect. It was hard to decide which of that series I wanted to picture; I chose that one because of its use of a common material and its allusive imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful way to start the day, these images and remembering his retro at the Whit., to say nothing of your two arches tribute.

    ReplyDelete