January 22, 2010

Fasteners

Fasteners, 2010, egg tempera on panel, 2 panels: each 8 x 8 inches


The diptych Fasteners is finished. I'm pleased with its geometries and color. One thing I changed from the study is the color and value of the fasteners; in the study they were a darker, redder color but I felt that the contrast of a lighter shape floating above the darker colors beneath worked better. The lighter colored rectangles draw our eye back and forth between panels, heightening our awareness of the movement of shape and light.





4 comments:

  1. I like the close-ups. Get a sense of peering in to see what's really going on with texture and color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, the close ups are a bit of a surprise for me; they are larger than the painting on my screen, so show touch and color variation in intense detail, more than you'd notice in the actual work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice pair. I'm also intrigued by the closeups, they provoke the question : how much is really necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for voicing that question, rappel; I've sometimes thought, while writing about my painting, that it might get more minimal and abstract in future. There's also an issue of scale, since most of my paintings are close the actual size of the objects depicted; I'm not sure how an enlargement would work or if I could keep the convincing quality of the image if blown up. (of course it is impossible to get a sense of size and scale from online images, where a detail has more presence than the whole.)

    ReplyDelete