May 24, 2010

Lunette

Lunette, hand dyed wool on linen, 2 pieces, overall approximately 9 x 23 inches


Here is the completed Lunette; I like its color and composition, though I regret that it doesn't look as symmetrical in its outer curves as I would have liked. As I've mentioned before, the process of rug hooking, especially the dyeing of fabric, is full of surprises, and less amenable to complete control than painting is for me, which I see as a plus.




I've included photos of each panel separately so that you can see the color variations and hooking more clearly. After photographing the piece, I looked around the house to find a good spot to see it in a context; the wall above a railing displaying dried herbs and flowers in my tiny front hall seemed a perfect place, where the allusion to a transom faces an actual one, curve to rectangle.


8 comments:

  1. I liked the wonky curves. and the dense color. and the vague suggestion of bug eyes crossing! for all its formality, it's actually humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful title, and the direction of the stitches is especially effective in this one for the way the center shape in each part stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the oddness of the leaves, and the mix of green-blue colors is wonderful. Your positioning it has the two pieces add to the rustic look of the herb wall and seems to open the wall. Which a lunette should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate all the interesting comments. I'm always happy to have humor in my work; pleased that the hooking direction is effective; glad to think that the work enhances the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. all I will say is can this be in my house? I would love to view this daily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, Sophie, so happy that you like this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The finished "Lunette" is just beautiful! Such lovely colors and easy shapes to rest my eyes upon. If you don't mention it, no one will think the outer edge is anything but perfect, and right in keeping with the rest of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much, Julia. You know how we worry about the rightness or wrongness of aspects of a piece of work; it's great that you think the edges are just fine, and go along with the work as a whole.

    ReplyDelete