May 21, 2010

A Walk in the Woods: Small White Flowers



Some lovely little flowers have appeared on the forest floor, adding more visual pleasure to my walks. I believe the flower above is called Starflower, Trientalis borealis. With its graceful pointed petals and delicate stamens and pistils, it's a tiny grace note nestled alongside fallen cones and needles.




This flower is a bit larger, with four perfect petals rising above a quartet of leaves. I wasn't able to identify this plant in my wildflower book; I'm almost tempted to think the flower is actually a bract, because in its earlier stage it is a pale green.




This flower was a real treat for me to notice and identify. On my walk today the woods had a lovely scent, a sweet smell of growth and moisture. At a place where the air smelled especially delightful, I looked around to see what could be the source. There were quite a few of these frothy little flowers, so I picked one and smelled it, and yes, it was wonderful. Being without a camera, I brought a few home to photograph and try to identify. I was excited to discover, if my identification is correct, that this is a Wild Lily of the Valley, or Canada Mayflower, Maianthemum canedense. Since true Lily of the Valley is one of my favorite flowers, I will have a spot in my heart for these sweet woods blooms.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Altoon--
    I've been enjoying your recent posts & work, though I haven't been able to comment lately. But these white flowers call for a hurrah! Though they make it seem like summer coming all too soon. The middle one is Bunchberry, Cornus canadensis. The little greenish parts in the centers are the flowers, each with four petals. And the showy four are bracts, as you figured out. A nice trio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that Susan has identified the bunchberry, look at the leaf and flower. Since it is very typical, now you will recognize other dogwoods.
    Canada Mayflower is supposed to be a tough plant. Haven't used it here in the Midwest but did some research for somebody in upper NY. Hard to find for sale, but they used to carry it at New England Wild Flower Society's/Garden In The Woods' nursery.
    Envying your woodland walks and enjoying living vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, Susan and Julie, for the information on the flowers, especially for identifying Bunchberry. I had the idea, Julie, to dig some of the Canada Mayflower and plant it under my lilac bush, which is about the only cool shady spot around my house; maybe I'll do that, inspired by your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely trio of white flower finds! Always learning as I pass through your woodland walks via blog. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep us posted about the transplanting...after they flower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is Unique Flowers i never see it before.. any way it's looking so gorgeous in between leafs..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wondering for a while what the first one was so pretty and they actually sparkle in the sun if you pick one and take it out of the shade. I see all three of these all the time while walking with my dogs in the woods and i just love them!!

    ReplyDelete