March 10, 2011

Cast Shadows



When I took the above photo recently, I was attracted by the shapes, large and small; when I processed it, I was stunned by how solid the large shadow form was. It presented itself as an object, tangible, in front of other objects, which made me think of Plato's "Myth of the Cave". In the myth prisoners are tied up in a cave where they can only see shadows cast on a wall, so of course they think that it is reality; what we think of as reality is also only a shadow. Plato believed that there are two worlds, the world of Being, an eternal world of ideal Forms, and the world of Becoming, our everyday world of representations.




I used to find this philosophy somewhat disturbing, as it seemed to point to a world that did not truly exist, a world I loved. But my thoughts changed: when I read about Kant writing that we couldn't really know the "thing in itself", only its physical manifestation, that began to make sense; it meant there was a transcendent reality that we could only glimpse. And recently I've been reading a wonderful book by a Buddhist monk, Anam Thubten no self no problem, which is a clear exposition of Buddhist philosophy which in some ways is similar to that of Western philosophy; instead of ideal forms, there is a rich Emptiness. As time goes on, these ideas, imperfectly understood by me, are seeming more attractive. But at the same time I am more and more entranced by the sheer abundant beauty of the world, and felt incredibly happy when I read this commonsense approach to an epistemological problem in Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay "Nature":
In my utter impotence to test the authenticity of the report of my senses, to know whether the impressions they make on me correspond with outlying objects, what difference does it make, whether Orion is up there in heaven, or some god paints the image in the firmament of the soul? ...Whether nature enjoy a substantial existence without, or is only in the apocalypse of the mind, it is alike useful and alike venerable to me.

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm, much to ponder here. Your photos of transient form through shadows and light are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for reminding me of that Plato story which really fascinated me yrs. ago.
    It also makes me think of "Circular Ruins" by Borges. It is about a man who wants to dream a man and impose him on reality.

    Your shadow photos are beautiful. They have a mysterious quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god that green wall --

    the idea that what we see is a pale reflection of reality would be better served by boring backgrounds, non-gorgeous colors, and irritating compositions --

    stuart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Laura, Alicia and Stuart for your comments. I'm glad you like the photos, though Stuart thinks they're too beautiful for the text.

    It's funny, I had taken that first photo and was trying to think of a context for it and one afternoon, while meditating (something I've begun recently and find really helps in calming and centering) the idea of Plato's cave came to me. I haven't read Borges, Alicia, but your comment makes me realize I must.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you referring to The Allegory of the Cave? I once had to write a paper on the similarities of Educating Rita and this piece by Plato...
    Diane C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Diane, the allegory or the myth of the cave. Educating Rita? I don't know the film so can't comment on its similarity or difference from Plato's ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking more about Stuart's comment and I realize that it is exactly the point that the world of Becoming, of shadows, is so seductive that we can't see beyond it. This is why Plato was so suspicious of artists; we peddle in beautiful illusions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to use these photos as the basis of paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Peddler,
    yes, that's very good. Thanks.
    happily, shallowly wallowing in the beautiful shadows,
    stuart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Altoon, your cast shadow photos are divine....paintings in themselves. I so enjoy your posts; glad I'm giving myself the chance to go back in time with your words.

    ReplyDelete