March 17, 2011

An Early Spring Chore: Pruning Apple Trees



This year winter has been tenacious; we've had only occasional glimpses of spring amidst the cold and snow, which still deeply blankets the ground. Now that I've written this blog for over a year, the seasonal chores come round again: last year I wrote about pruning on March 9th, which you can see here. At that time, there were remaining patches of snow, but the ground was mostly bare and there had been many mild days. This year, I am excited to be out of doors working on any day that is a harbinger of spring. We had one such day a couple of days ago, and another is coming today, so I put on my snowshoes and take my hand and pole pruners out to the trees.

This grande dame of a tree, leaning on her cane, is my favorite; it doesn't bear well, but is so dramatically beautiful. When we prune, we're supposed to encourage outward growth, but this tree has a vigorous habit of sending many thin branches skyward. It is the only tree I have of this variety and the only one to behave this way.




A random pattern of branches appears on the snow as I work. I marvel at how insistent this old tree is in growing and refusing to stay in bounds.




The tree's wild hairdo is now contained, and I hope that each of the branches I have left will grow thicker and stronger with time. And next year I will have to prune the overreaching branches yet again.




A close look at the aged horizontal trunk shows a landscape in miniature, full of textured ground and small green hills of lichen. I feel that I am looking at an illustration of the passage of time in the scaling bark and depressions in the surface.




After finishing the leaning tree, I move into the small orchard behind the house to prune the dozen or so old trees there. They are all antique varieties and bear fruit only every other year. This is their on year, so I have apples to look forward to this fall, and the making of apple sauce and apple butter, which I will store for a year or two's eating.




Lastly, I wanted to show one of my favorite signs of spring, that I look for each year with pleasure: the widening circles bare of snow around the base of tree trunks, meaning that renewed life and warmth are on the way.

12 comments:

  1. Mark pruned our apples tues. and wed. with gorgeous sunny weather and warm temps. But there was still enough snow on the ground to make it easy to pick up the branches and to protect the moss garden which is under the trees. Usually he tries to do this in Jan. or Feb. when there is a thaw but too much snow to work until now. The shady parts of the yard are still pretty deep in snow but should be gone perhaps by the end of the week. Definitely the chore that says Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Wis., I doubt our snow will be gone in less than a week or two, but it is now steadily receding. I should also pick up all the pruned branches, but laziness often prevails. Another lovely day today beckons...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful gesture that tree holds--we have orchards here-most trees are very old but still bear fruit-I love how the wee fine branches weave into the sky-and the spring birds are gathering already (early here in southwest Ontario)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pleased you appreciate that tree, Jan. Most of my other trees, especially the Duchess and Peach apples, bear quite well. If the weather holds I'm looking forward to a good harvest. You must be ahead of us as to weather, but soon the birds will be returning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New poster here but I had to comment. The first tree looks very much like an Indian Trail Tree. Have you ever researched this? I find them fascinating and how cool would it be to have one located on your property!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi A., I did try to find the variety of that tree by looking up the antique apples. The ones on that tree look similar to a golden delicious. I'll look up the Indian Trail Tree to see if that might be what mine is. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to confuse you with my choice of words or wording. Indian Trail Trees are trees that were bent by Native Americans to point in a specific direction to show a path or as a guide for others to follow, maybe to point out a water source or other significant item.
    They aren't a variety of tree, sorry again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I see; how very interesting. This is definitely not an Indian Trail Tree, having been planted just to the west of the house by the occupants 60 or 70 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a wonderful photo of the horizontal trunk with mosses and lichens. Does your Duchess of Oldenburg bear in abundance? My folks had a huge ancient one that supplied a year's worth of applesauce in good years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops, I just realized, Susan, that I wrote small green hills of lichen and it should have been moss. I have several Duchess of Oldenburg trees and they all still bear very well. Lots of apple butter, sauce and lots for giving away to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
    -Margaret Atwood

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the great quote, Richard, I love it.

    ReplyDelete