March 20, 2011

For the Vernal Equinox



The spring awakening has begun. I left home for a brief trip two days ago, and returned to find ground that had been covered with snow beginning to show itself, decorated with bits of green. The rapidity of the change is startling; each year I forget how quickly a seemingly endless winter can release its hold. I'd also forgotten that last fall I planted snowdrops along the foundation of my shed, so their pregnant buds were a wonderful surprise.




The warmth of the south facing granite foundation encourages the early emergence of daylilies in a narrow band free of icy snow.




The rich green of moss is patterned with last seasons strappy leaves, while the new daylily shoots are a light green exclamation point.




Even the compost piles point to spring as their decomposing warmth has melted the large mounds of covering snow. I can no longer see the little scurrying footprints of the creatures who feed at the pile. Tonight, March 20th, at 7:21 EST we'll all be celebrating the official beginning of spring.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my Altoon; you've reached that glorious moment for gardeners (and artists), the appearance of new life. Somehow--even more exciting coming through the snow. Here in CA, I've been delighting in the appearance of the redbuds and tiny oxblood colored buds of the Japanese maple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very magical time, Hannah. I remember spring in California being lovely, but because there wasn't a long hard winter, it never was quite as sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, snow drops, the first sighting is always so exciting. I saw 2 points of daffodils break through the ground today. My snow drops are probably up under the snow. They are capable of breaking through the crust of snow...so delicate, yet so fierce in their determination to be.
    Happy Equinox, Altoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had snowdrops a few weeks ago: my husband emailed pix to me in Guatemala so I wouldn't miss the moment. Yesterday I saw scilla!
    I like yr compost photo here, how it introduces the concept of the heat and the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so interesting to read in comments how everyone's spring signs appear at different times. My snowdrops used to be very late because they are planted near the porch and are always under the huge mound of snow that comes off the roof, but this year the newly planted ones are in a spot that clears of snow earlier.
    Julie, I couldn't resist photographing the warm compost.
    thanks for the Equinox wishes, Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're ahead of us! No sign of any bare ground here except the circles around the big maples. Good to know it won't be so long now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Susan, all is now covered up again after today's snow. Spring is still a ways off, it seems.

    ReplyDelete