February 11, 2014

A New Painting: "Orange Rounds"


Orange Rounds, egg tempera on calfskin parchment, 8 1/4 x 7 in.


When I was working on photo studies for this painting, I had both horizontal and vertical versions. I decided on the vertical, feeling it had more tension in the cropping of the form. My big challenge with this work was the color: I painted and repainted those oranges many times; they were too light, too dark, too contrasty, not contrasty enough, too reddish, too yellowish. The top part of the painting became overworked and I had to wipe it down to the parchment and start again. But I think I got the color relationships fairly well resolved.


Orange Rounds detail


The orange forms in this piece are relatively flat, although there is a flattened cone, so I enjoyed painting this black form that is more volumetric; and that little hole in it continues the repeating rounds, with a twist.


7 comments:

  1. There are so many options within "orange." I love the grey protruding hemisphere too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that in your recent paintings, I can immediately registrar this is is a close up view of one or several industrial objects. For me, it's the shadow that gives it away. Particularity in this painting, the rounded angle. It a shadow that only a manufacture object could give. The lighting is also so specific. At least, I think it is. Florescent light?
    Maybe it's because I'm a fan of orange that I feel so happy with this painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Yetzenia. I guess, though, that the light isn't so specific looking because it is actually sunlight.

      Delete
  3. nice little slice of green up there too. this one feels very architectural to me, deco,and very successful orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, rappel. That slice of green started out being wider, but it didn't work, so I'm glad you're happy with it now.

      Delete