February 25, 2010

Blueberry Buckle



It's been a while since I've posted a recipe, so here is a tasty dessert that uses some of those blueberries you have in the freezer from last summer's crop. Last week I had a craving for an afternoon treat, a pick me up for the low ebb of the day, and remembered a recipe from a Ladies Auxiliary of the Lunenberg Hospital Society cookbook: Blueberry Buckle. I spent a summer over 30 years ago in Lunenberg, Nova Scotia, a very beautiful town surrounded by bays and inlets, a traditional center of shipbuilding. As in Maine, there was a large crop of wild blueberries, so there were recipes using them that were a bit quirky, for instance Blueberry Grunt, in which sweetened blueberries are covered with a biscuit-like dough and cooked in a saucepan over a flame. Blueberry Buckle is more traditional, a cake dough layered with blueberries and a crumb topping.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup milk

Mix above ingredients and spread in a 8 x 8 inch pan.
Spread with 2 heaping cups of blueberries (frozen is ok)
Sprinkle with the following, mixing with fingers till crumbly:

1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teas cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Bake in 350 degree preheated oven till golden brown, about 45 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Looks lovely and no doubt tasted the same. I remember an article I clipped years ago from Gourmet that was all about "Grunts, Slumps and Pandowdies!" Three great terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tun, similar to Mom's apple cobbler, but a good change since my family loves blueberries. Of course, with my sweet tooth I think I'll increase the recipe to a cup of sugar for the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Jurist-Gleichers sent me your blog -- and it's wonderful! As soon as I get back to Vermont, I hope to try the buckle (maybe with the summer blackberries.

    What is the difference between a grunt and a slump? I've always wondered and have never had it clearly explained to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, I know what a grunt is, but not a slump. For a grunt, you cook the blueberries in a covered pot over a flame, with a dough on top; it's a useful dish when you don't have an oven.

    ReplyDelete