February 3, 2010

The Gardening Season Begins



Soon after receiving my seed order last week, I planted onion seeds, red and yellow, in 6 and 8 inch round pots. The earlier they are started the larger they will be for transplanting. (I usually start leeks at the same time, but forgot to order them so will look around locally for some seeds.) I love the way onion seedlings grow: fine loops of green begin to poke up through the soil; as they grow taller, the end bearing the husk of the seed is freed from the soil and the loop unbends, slowly straightening, rising towards the light.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating that it emerges as a loop Altoon.

    I admire your whole approach to the cycles of the plant's life - ordering in of seeds, the nurturing to raise them....replanting them and finally harvesting and creating with your produce.
    The rhythm of following through with things that is required!

    I have not yet adjusted to this hot climate I am in now - and need to become familiar with how best to approach the sub-tropical garden.

    This has not diminished my enjoyment of all things green though.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie, because I live in a climate with distinct seasons, the cycles of life are clear, and I look forward to each change with pleasure. I lived in San Jose, California, which is near San Francisco, for three years; the minimal seasonal changes there made me long for winter, with the following joy of spring. Having a long fallow time makes new growth all that more exciting. I imagine that living in a tropical climate would foster a very different relation to nature and plant life.

    ReplyDelete