February 15, 2010

A New Rug Hooking Project: Tilt



With this work, which will be 12 x 10 inches in size, I am back to the theme of balance, as in the ruglets Swing, and Lean. A square is tilted, touching the curve beneath and 2 outside edges, giving the appearance of being ready to tumble, yet held steady by its tight placement. When I started doing color studies for this work, I used a green for the large curved form, but then switched it to the background because I didn't want the image to look too much like a big, grass covered hill.




Last week, I pot dyed the three colors, crowded them so that the dye reached the fabric unevenly and yielded a mottled surface; I believe this adds a lot of life to the surface of the finished work. I used a color called Violet for the curved shape; it gave me a lovely pinkish color, which I varied by dropping some Yellow on it. The square was dyed with Silver Gray, which looked quite purplish to me in the pot, so I added yellow here too, purple's complement, to dull the color. The green is Silver Gray Green. All the dyes I use are Cushing's Acid Dyes. I like the color relationships that emerged from the dyepots: a slightly darker square balanced in front of a lighter green, next to a lighter but more intense violet. It will be interesting to see how these colors sort themselves out spacially once the ruglet is hooked.

2 comments:

  1. These colors definitely suggest springtime to me. I think they are luscious.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Donna. I can see the violet as a spray of lilacs....it'll be wonderful to see them in May.

    ReplyDelete