September 14, 2009

Pizza with Greens

Swiss Chard

I love making and eating pizza. I generally bake a pizza alla marinara which has tomatoes and garlic, but no cheese; it's a good base for adding other toppings. A few weeks ago, looking at all the swiss chard in the garden, I thought of making a white pizza with cooked greens so searched online for recipes. After making this recipe a couple of times, I've got the ingredients, simple as they are, adjusted to my preference and the pie is delicious.




So I'd like to share the recipe: Swiss chard is a nice choice for greens because it's got a strong but not insistent flavor. But I imagine spinach would work, as would some bitter greens if you enjoy that flavor; I'll likely try this with kale when it's ready.

  1. Use your favorite recipe for a 10-11 inch pizza. I make my dough with 1 cup white and 1/2 cup coarse grind whole wheat flour, which adds a nice texture.
  2. Clean and coarsely chop around 3/4 lb of greens (I removed the ribs of the chard).
  3. In a wide pan, warm 1 1/2 Tbs chopped garlic (yes, a lot is good here) in 1/4 to 1/3 cup good olive oil. I use a lot of oil for cooking the greens, but then I don't brush the crust with oil, which would be overkill.
  4. Add greens, a bit of salt, and cook till tender and much reduced and the water in the greens is cooked off; there will still be moisture from the olive oil.
  5. Roll out the dough and distribute greens evenly on top. Then spread with 3 to 4 ounces of grated mozzarella. I don't like a lot of cheese, so if you do, just use more. I think this pizza would also be good with goat cheese.
  6. Bake in a 500 degree preheated oven on a preheated pizza stone for 10 to 12 minutes.
  7. You can add a bit of grated parmesan and/or crushed chili pepper (I add chili to every pizza...love that zing!).

Update: I've tried this recipe with kale and find it too sweet; I prefer swiss chard.

7 comments:

  1. looks delicious.
    What is your pizza dough recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the dough: 1 cup white flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (coarse grind, called graham) 1 teas salt; combine in bowl. Dissolve 1 teas dry yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, add 1 Tbs olive oil. Add liquid to dry ingredients and knead well. (I use a food processor to knead the dough) Let rise in warm place in lightly oiled bowl for 3 hours.
    voila!
    this comes from Marcella Hazan's More Classic Italian Cooking, no longer in print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More Classic Italian Cooking is no longer in print? I'd better guard my paperback edition with my life. This pizza sounds just great and maybe I'll be able to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day I will paint with Egg Tempera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pizza Looks Yummy
    Want it in my Tummy
    I aint bein' Funny
    Send me your Pizza
    I'll send you my Money.

    Wow! Another poem! Ha!
    (See blog for my last effort. Shhh. Just between
    you n' me.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elly, I've got an old paperback of both the Classic and More Classic and use them endlessly. There are lots of used copies available though.
    Jean, give it a try! but the pizza may be easier at first.
    William, funny poem, but sorry, I'm not going into the bakery business (and you should taste my sourdough bread!)

    ReplyDelete