October 2, 2009

Autumn Color: Maple Leaves




In my posts on autumn, how could I not publish photos of the state tree of Vermont, the sugar maple? When we think of a New England fall, the image that comes to mind is that of the flaming leaves of this maple tree, which also provides us with maple syrup in early spring. The trees show a variety of color, from a deep red, through orange and deep yellow. The color is at its peak in the higher hills around here; at my house, which is at 1300 feet of elevation, it is approaching peak color. Looking at the vivid hues around me, there's a sense that it's all rather miraculous; even though I see this display year after year, it always surprises and delights.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like fall has really come in already up there--the leaves have yet to turn down in New York. I can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was once told that a wet summer produces brilliant leaves in fall. That will be our reward for enduring a summer with rather dull weather. It seems Vermont is already in full swing. Only one tree by my lake in NJ has started to turn; the rest are still very green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the same thing about wet weather producing bright foliage. We're probable 2 or 3 climate zones colder up here than New Jersey and NYC: it's zone 4, or maybe 3b, here.

    ReplyDelete