October 9, 2009

A New Rug Hooking Project: Quadrants






I'm almost finished with Loop de Loop so have been thinking about the next ruglet. After writing the post "Shapes", I realized that I hadn't done a shaped work in a long time so did a couple of pages of sketches. I was intrigued by the idea of doing a pair of quarter circles: they look as though they're spinning or twirling around each other. I found a couple of wool remnants that gave me a color idea, the complementary colors of orange and blue. The dyeing process today didn't go easily, as my try for turquoise turned to green; I then accepted a blue that is not turquoise but looks strong against the yellow/orange.

When thinking about a title for this piece, I'd first thought of "Slices", as in pie or pizza. Maybe it's a better title (any thoughts?) but the reference seemed too particular. I'm rather torn, because slices is a bit funny as quadrants is not. I used the title "Fruit Slices" for a piece based on the jellied candy.....hmmm.

1 comment: