August 3, 2009

Blueberries

My blueberry bushes are loaded with fruit this year; they seem to be on an every-other-year schedule, like my antique apples, and this is their on year. I've covered the bushes with a spun polypropylene garden fabric to keeps the birds out, otherwise my yields would be considerably diminished. Before I had noticed that the berries had started to ripen, I saw lots of birds hanging out around the bushes; like raccoons sniffing out ripe corn, the birds knew berries were ready.

Lots of blueberries for the freezer, for jam, for desserts, for simply eating. Last night I made a blueberry custard tart for guests. The recipe came from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and was very simple: just mix 2 cups of berries with 3 Tbs molasses and some lemon zest and put in a layer on a prebaked tart shell; cover with a custard made of 1 egg and 2/3 cup sour cream with 1 teas vanilla and a little nutmeg. Bake at 425 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. There's not much custard or flavoring, so the stars of the tart are the berries, whose taste really shines through here. We all agreed: excellent dessert.

1 comment: