August 27, 2009

Parsley Omelettes


the plant

the main ingredients

the batter

the finished omelettes/fritters

I love parsley. It's a vigorously growing, nutritious herb that adds a bright flavor to salads and sauces. It's also the primary ingredient in a food that I grew up with: sandwiches of "ejjeh badounness" in pita bread with a slice of beefsteak tomato. My family are Sephardic Jews from Syria, and my mother is a great cook of that cuisine. This is one of my favorites for summer when parsley is abundant. It's a popular item for vegetarians at potlucks. So I'm sharing the recipe with you.

2 cups finely chopped parsley
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
4 eggs
1 1/4 teas ground allspice
salt to taste
vegetable oil for frying, a thin layer on the bottom of the pan

Mix onions and parsley with the eggs, making a thick batter. Add salt and allspice.
Heat oil on medium flame. Drop batter by large spoonsful into oil and cook till brown on each side. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy warm or cold, plain or in sandwiches.

Makes 8 3 to 4 inch pancakes/fritters/omelettes (whatever you want to call them)

2 comments:

  1. Great post with images step by step and the recipe. . I'll have to try them. I like the red and the black as well. Glad to have met up with you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! This is the same thing as the keftes de prassa I mentioned in the other post--only with parsley instead of leeks. (Not to keep bombarding you with posts about this.)

    ReplyDelete