August 10, 2009

Work in Progress 4

Today I worked on the green planes. I am attempting to get the sense of light flowing underneath the yellow curve, and on the right, the movement from dark edge forward. Then there's the challenge to get the light/shadow transition convincing so that what we see is not just color, but color carrying light. An area I'm not convinced by is the forward edge of the horizontal plane on the right; I think it might be too cool in color and too abruptly transitioning into the curve downwards, which prevents the illusion of coming forward. (and I love those physical illusions)

So next time I'm in the studio I'll be able to see with clearer eyes what's working and what's not. Having breaks between painting sessions, even a lunch break, helps me to see what's right or wrong about what I've recently painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment